Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lexie's ER visit

We found out the hard way that Lexie is allergic to penicillin. She had a double ear infection so the doctor put her on amoxicillin. Five days of being on the medicine nothing happened. On the sixth day she told me she couldn't go to sleep because these bites itched. Being a mean mom I told her she would be fine and to get in bed. When she woke up she had more little bite looking things. I was a little freaked out thinking maybe it was bed bug bites! I made her an appointment with her doctor. By the time we made it to the doctor's office they started to look like hives and not bites. The doctor took one look at her and asked what she was allergic to. We started her on benadryl right there. The next day she woke up with swollen everything. Her poor little hands and ears were even swollen. She was complaining her throat was hurting. I called the doctor who told us to take her to the ER. So we made the trip to the ER. Lexie was spitting mad!She did not want to be in the hospital. The sweet old man volunteer was trying everything he could to make her happy, but all she would scream was "I want to go home"! They did an IV with steroids and benadryl. After a couple of hours she looked much better. Needless to say she takes medicine really well now because she doesn't want to go to the hospital ever again.
This is right when she woke up after being on benadryl
Poor girl was just covered with hives

4 comments:

Claudy said...

Yikes! I'm glad you guys got it figured out. Poor thing.

Malinda said...

That picture is so sad. Poor girl!

dcscrivy said...

Oh my goodness, poor girl, she looks so sad. Looks like camp was a lot of fun, makes me miss the ward a lot.

EmWJ said...

Yep, that's what happened when Cecily took amoxocillan the last time. Lots of hives. Luckily, we missed the ER appointment, but now I know to answer yes on the "allergic to any medicines" question.