Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fish Market and First time Sushi eater

Our last day in Busan we went to the fish market, checked out the beach, hiked a mountain and visited the only U.N. cemetery.
We hiked a mountain to see this at night. It was a gorgeous site. The mountains in Korea aren't way tall but they are steep. It was quite the hike.
Us on our hike
The only U.N. cemetery. There are 34 U.S. soldiers buried there
On our way to the beach and APEC building these students stopped us to take our picture because we were foreigners. (blonde hair really stands out there).
The fish market. There is every kind of fish. I was in total amazement.
At the very bottom of the picture you can see the ladies selling the fish. On top of them is were they hang the fish to dry. Behind them (at the top of the pic) in the port were they are throwing fish off the boats.
More fish
Octopus! Yes, I did try to eat it, but I failed. We went to the building next to the market that is filled with fish tanks. You pick what fish you want and then sit down and eat it RAW! I decided we are here when else will I get to do this! Dong Il ordered us a fish, when we sat down the lady brought an appetizer (on the house). It was nasty nasty nasty but I didn't throw up and I ate it. Dong Il had told her it was my first time trying raw fish so she was more than willing to let me try things. She brought us drinks and veggies which were great. She then brought the fish Dong Il ordered, they weren't bad I could chew once and swallow. I thought I was doing great it wasn't so bad . . . then she brought octopus (on the house)! Yeah, wasn't ready for that one. With octopus you just pull it out of the tank and chop up its tentacles. They are still moving on your plate. JD and Dong Il told me I couldn't try it if I wasn't going to chew it really good because the suckers on the tentacles still work and if you don't chew it well then they stick to your throat and suffocate you. I siked myself up to try one. I had my eye on one that hadn't moved the whole time. I picked it up, dipped it in the sauce and went to put it in my mouth. On the way to my mouth it started crawling up my chopstick and I lost it. I mean I threw it and screamed. The old ladies working, JD and Dong Il got a big laugh out of it. JD was a lot better than me and helped Dong Il finish everything so we didn't offend the ladies working.
This is one of the disgusting fish things we ate. In traditional Korea only males are suppose to eat this . . .

4 comments:

Celeste Ferguson said...

wow!! That is a lot of fish!! :)

Malinda said...

You are brave! I'm so impressed that you tried all of that. I'm gagging a little just thinking about the octopus.

blm_mckell said...

i couldn't do it. the smell alone would be enough for me..

Kristen said...

It was so fun to see your pictures and read some of your experiences! I love that picture of you and JD on the hike. That last picture of the "fish" . . . seriously?!! That looks like--it's disgusting!! Ha ha! I loved having you guys here! Thanks for visiting us and letting us hang out with you!