On Sunday we went to Changwon. This is a place were JD served for 8 months. He got to know the members very well in this area. When we got to the bus station JD didn't recognize anything. The place has changed a lot in 10 years. We called Ing Young (the wife of the bishop JD knew there). She told us how to get to the church and that she would see us there. We got to the church a little early so we walked around the neighborhood. JD said the only thing he recognized was the church and that it had even been renovated. They were watching conference for church. We were welcomed by everybody. One couple remembered JD had attended their sons 100 day celebration. Another lady was the one who took him to eat dog soup. It was really fun for JD to catch up with old friends. I had know idea what was being said most the time. I just sat back and smiled. When conference started I thought oh man this is going to be long. Listening to it in Korean just wasn't keeping my attention. After the first talk a lady came and put a laptop on my lap with headphones. She had run home to download the english version so I could follow along. She was so sweet. I took a break and went to use the restroom down stairs. When I came out a lady with a baby was standing outside. She said hi. I said wow you speak english. She said yes, and asked if I was sister Parry. When I said yes she gave me a big hug and pulled me into the hall to meet her husband. Right when I saw her husband I knew who they were. He was the bishop So Mun Su who JD loved. I recognized him because he looks like a korean Silvester Stalone. He doesn't speak any english so he just waved and started talking but I have no idea what he said. I guess his wife saw the confused look on my face, cause she started translating for me. We went and found JD and talked the rest of the meeting. We ate lunch with the members a the church. We had Bibimbop. It was delicious. It is rice with veggies, grasses, seaweed and hot peanut sauce. I was a little self cautious about eating with chopsticks because I knew people were watching me. I thought I was doing okay but apparently not because a young girl brought me a spoon! This was one of my favorite days. I loved seeing that no matter where we were in the world the gospel is there and strong. I loved seeing young families like ours, where the parents are trying to keep the kids under control and quiet.
After church we went to So Mun Su's home. They wanted to take us around to some of their favorite spots. We went to a mountain that over looked to cities Changwon and Chinhae. It was beautiful. We also went to a little pond were JD used to procelite. The pond was funny to me there was a huge grassy area but nobody was on it because it was in the sun. Everybody there was in the shade. I did see one person tanning but it turned out to be a foreigner. On the way back to their house Ing Young asked JD what his favorite korean food was she wanted to make dinner for us. He named 5 or 6 things that he really liked and hoped to have while we were over there. Back at their house So Mun Su's 2 sisters, brother-in-law, a soon to be brother-in-law and his mom had come. They all started cooking, not letting me help. The grandma kept talking my hand and sitting me on the couch shaking a finger at me. I was a little scared to eat because I saw them cutting fish in three pieces leaving on the head. I saw them boiling sardines and using lots of things I couldn't even guess what they were. So needless to say I was scared I didn't want to offend them. We all sat on the floor and I found out she made JD's favorite meal Bulgolgi. She made 3 other dishes just so I could try them. I did try everything (even the fish with the head still on). I loved everything.
It was fun to see this part of JD's life. He has told me about his mission and the people he met and experiences he had. It was fun to actually see places and meet people I had heard stories about. It was fun to hear what a great missionary and hard worker he was. This family really loved him.
I had to take this picture. I thought she was wearing a mask because she was sick. Well she's not and she wears it to keep the sun off her face. The whiter your skin represents your social class. The whiter you are supposedly means the richer you are.
These are apartment buildings. They are huge and they are everywhere. I can't imagine living on the top floor.
So Mun Su, Me, JD, Ing Young and baby at the pond.

2 comments:
It looks like you guys had lot's of fun! That's so neat!! :)
Korean Sylvester Stalone ... I can totally see it. What quality people!
Post a Comment